Friday, September 11, 2009

Emerson CQC 10


I've been wanting an Emerson knife since I heard about it in a Richard Marcinko book.  I did some research and they are awesome knives, although they run a little more than I have ever spent  on a knife.   I decided to finally take the plunge and get an Emerson folder.

I got a CQC 10.   I picked that model because I wanted something with a substantial enough blade.  I had bought a different knife with a 2.85" blade, and it just didn't seem like a good, big, manly, solid knife.  It was good, but just not enough.
So anyway I got the regular blade ( a combo serrated blade is also available) and am very happy with it.  The blade measures 3.6 ".  It's a good size - not too big and definitely not too small.  It came razor sharp.  The blade has a black non reflective coating, and is made of steel with a conventional V grind.

Here are the specs:
Handles
Black G-10 epoxy / glass laminate
Blade
154 CM Premium Blade Steel
Finish
Black or Silver
Grind
Conventional V Grind


Overall Length
8.50 in.
Blade Length
3.60 in.
Blade Thickness
.125 in.
Hardness
57-59 RC
Weight
4.7


The handle is made up of a material called G-10 (An extremely durable makeup of layers of fiberglass soaked in resin, then highly compressed and baked. Impervious to moisture or liquid and physically stable under climate change.) and is just as substantial as the blade.  It has a good solid feel and provides a good grip.  It also includes a clip for your pocket and maintains a reasonably low profile.

The CQC 10 has the wave feature.  It's a little hook like thing on the outside of the blade, that's designed to catch on the pocket, as it's being drawn.  With a little practice, it's a very fast way to deploy the blade.

This is my favorite knife.  Although Emerson knives are expensive, so far I think it's well worth the money.  I purchased this online at Dave's Knife World and am equally happy with this vendor.  Dave himself takes the time to answer emails, and shipped me the knife very quickly.

After having the knife for about a month, and using it for various cutting tasks, the blade is still as sharp as when it came from the box.  Definitely worth the money, and I would recommend this knife to anyone looking for a good capable folder.
('DiggThis’)

No comments:

Post a Comment