Friday, August 28, 2009

Surefire G2

I picked up my Surefire G2 before this deployment and have gotten a lot of use out of it. I've also taken it camping and it's proven to be a great light, especially for the money.


I got it at a military post exchange for around $25, but you can probably get close to that on the internet. In stores it's closer to $32.

The flashlight is a compact flashlight (5.1" long) that will easily fit in your pocket. I bought an aftermarket holster for it that will fit on my body armor or belt from TAD Gear. The body is polymer and looks like it can withstand quite a beating. The power switch is a tailcap that can be activated by either turning the tailcap all the way, or by pressing and holding the tailcap button. I've found that by turning the cap towards the off position enough, you can effectively lock it out to prevent accidental discharge.

Both the tailcap and top, feature O rings that make it "weather proof". I don't know that I would submerge it for extended periods of time, but I feel confident that if I dropped in a pond or puddle, it would work fine.

The base flashlight comes with an incandesent lamp that puts out 65 lumens and has a run time of 60 minutes on one set of batteries. It was good, but I wanted increased runtime from my batteries so I dropped in a replacement LED bulb from Lighthound. I believe it was a Cree or Uniq. I do know that it was around $20 and well worth it. I think it puts out more light and definitely doesn't eat as many batteries. It uses two 123A lithium batteries, but can be modified to take a rechargeable battery. Surefire's website has this and other accessories for this light, such as filters and holsters.

I wrapped some 550 cord around the handle and made a little lanyard for it and I think it helps the grip a little more. I would recommend this flashlight to anyone needing a good basic durable light. It's available in 4 colors - Black, OD Green, Yellow and Tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment